Inspired from a recipe in Joy of Cooking, this is a sauce we keep in the fridge at all times.
We use it on our oven baked barbeque ribs, barbeque seitan, and barbeque chicken just to name a few dishes.
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened catsup
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup Shoyu, Gluten Free Tamari or Coconut Aminos
- 3⁄4 cup agave syrup or maple syrup
- 1 pinch chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 lemon, juiced
Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer for 10 minutes or so, stirring regularly.
Now how easy is that ;-)
If you don’t use unsweetened catsup this can be cloyingly sweet. I have forgotten to use unsweetened and while it’s very, very sweet on its own, all the dishes that I’ve used it on are sublime – even with the extra sweetness.